Friday, February 10, 2012

Tipsy Tutorials: Bobblicious Hat Re-make


One of my friends pinned this hat (http://allicrafts.blogspot.com/2011/01/free-pattern-bobblicious-baby-hat.html ) couple of weeks ago and it caught my interest.  I have another  friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago and is in the middle of chemotherapy. We were talking one day and she said the hardest thing for her was that her head was always cold.  Now we don’t have frigid winters here in the Willamette Valley, but one thing I CAN do is make some very cute hats.  She likes the simple skull-cap styles because they cover more, stretch as needed and don’t hurt her head when she sleeps in them.  So many things I never thought about; I’m glad she shared with me.  I know it can't be easy.

Sooo, I’ve been on the hunt for cute caps I can throw together for her.  I think this is a fun hat, but the original pattern was for a baby hat.  So I went to work.  It took a couple of nights to work out the pattern, but here it is.  I tweaked the original a lot because I couldn’t follow her instructions and get the desired result.  (If you have any problems/questions with my  instructions, please ask so I can make corrections.)  When I made the second one to verify that the pattern really said what I wanted it to, it only took me one evening to throw the main cap together. 


There are tons of cute flower patterns all over the internet.  Just search "crochet flower" on Pinterest and prepare to be overwhelmed.  Here are 3 that I liked and have made.  They come together quickly.  You can make several in just a couple of hours.

http://isitatoy.blogspot.com/2011/08/crochet-doodle-flowers-free-pattern.html
http://easymakesmehappy.blogspot.com/2010/05/crocheted-leaves-for-naked-branch.html
http://rosehip.typepad.com/rose_hip_blog/2007/09/september-blur.html
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-rosettes.html?noImages  (I'm not sure, but you may need to sign up for a free membership to get to the patterns on this site.  It's well worth it if you like to crochet as much as I do.)

So, without further ado, here is the  ...
Bobblicious Skull Cap
Supplies:
approx. 150 to 170 yds. worsted weight yarn (I used Vanna’s choice & Paton’s Decor; I prefer the first)
J10/6.00 mm crochet hook

Special Stitch:  Bobble Stitch
(This stitch is worked from the wrong side of the hat.  When you turn to the right side, the bobbles poke out.)
*Yo, insert hook in indicated stitch.  Pull up a loop, yo, draw through two loops. Repeat from * twice more, yo, draw through all 4 loops on hook, ch st.

Hat Instructions:
Ch 4, join in 1st chain w/ ss to form a circle.
Row 1:   ch 3 (counts as 1st dc now and throughout), 9 more dc in ch loop.  Join w/ ss in top of beginning ch 3 (10 dc)
Row 2:  ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in ea st around.  Join w/ ss in top of beg. ch 3 (20 dc)
Row 3:  repeat row 2 (40 dc.)
Row 4:  ch 3, dc in same st, dc in next st *2 dc in next st, dc in next st* around (60 dc)
Row 5:  ch 2, hdc in next st and in ea st around.  Join with ss in beg. Ch 2.  ch 1, turn. (60 hdc)
Row 6:  Sc in 1st 3 st *bobble in next st, sc in next 3 st; repeat from * around (15 bobble st)
Row 7:  ch 1, sc in first 4 st, skip ch st.  *sc in next 4 sc, skip ch st.  Repeat from * around, ss in 1st chain. (60 sc)
Row 8:  ch 1, sc in first st, bobble in next st *sc in next 3 st, bobble in next st. Repeat from * around to last st. sc in last st.  ss in 1st chain.  (15 Bobble st)
Row 9:  ch 1, sc in first 2 st, sk ch st *sc in next 4 st, skip ch st.  Repeat from * around to last 2 st. sc in last 2 st.  ss in 1st chain, ch 1  (60 sc)
Rows 10 – 21: Repeat rows 6-9 until you have 8 rows of bobbles, ending on a sc row.
Row 22:  sc in ea sc around (60 sc) (I did the last two rows as rounds, meaning I did not ch 1at the beginning of the rows.  At this point, try on the hat; if you want it to cover your ears a little more, just do a couple more rounds like this before doing the edging.)
Row 23: Reverse st in each sc around.  Finish off and weave in ends.
HookingupwithHoH     
http://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20friday     Tip Junkie handmade projects

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Visiting from tt&j. I love this.. it super cute. And so sweet of you to make for your friend! I wish I could knit!

    If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my Friday party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute hat! I am going to have to make this!
    Drea
    babiesnbargains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!